8 acres of gardens with National Plant Collection of Water Lilies on display during summer months. Museum, Cafe, Gift Shop and Plant Sales.
We are situated 2 miles from Weymouth Harbour on the B3157 to Bridport. Follow the brown road signs for ‘Water Gardens’ from the A354.
There are good road links to the attraction.
We look forward to welcoming you. If you have any queries or require any assistance please phone 01305 785150 or email email@example.com.
- The nearest railway station is Weymouth, which is 2 miles away. Taxi’s are available from Weymouth train station.
- The nearest bus stops are 0.5km (1/3 mile) from our main entrance at Budmouth School (N)/The Alex (S). There is a shelter and seating. Take either the Weymouth to Chickerell bus (Service 8) from Weymouth Town Centre or the Jurassic Coast bus (Service X53) between Axminster, Bridport & Weymouth. Directions: Walk west on Chickerell Rd and turn onto Alexandra Rd, take the footpath through the small green onto Putton Ln, cross Chickerell Link Rd/B3157 onto Putton Ln, we are on the left.
- The main road outside the attraction has a wide paved path on one side.
Car Parking and Arrival
- There is parking on site for 50 cars, 2 coaches and 2 clearly marked Blue Badge parking spaces, which are 2m from the main entrance.
- The on site car park surface is compacted gravel with a paved path leading to the main entrance.
- There is a drop off point at the main entrance.
- The main entrance double doors can be opened to a maximum width of 1.5m.
Main Entrance, Reception and Ticketing Area
- The main entrance and ticket area is situated on the ground floor with step free, level access, throughout.
- The floor surface is tiled and paved.
- The area is evenly and well lit with overhead lighting from fluorescent lights.
- There is a lowered section of the welcome/ticketing desk.
Attraction (displays, exhibits, rides etc.)
- There is partial wheelchair access available around the gardens.
- A map is provided and directional signs are located at relevant places.
- The museum interpretation boards are all in large text, and have pictorial representation where applicable.
- Public toilets are located on the ground floor with level access from the main entrance and café areas.
- These toilets have a unisex accessible toilet.
- A light, easy open door 900mm/35.5ins wide.
- 980mm/38.5ins transfer space to the left of the ground floor toilet, when facing the toilet.
- The toilet height is 400mm/15.7ins.
- There are vertical rails either side of toilet.
- There is a horizontal rail on the side wall adjacent to the toilet.
- The toilets are well lit with automatic fluorescent tube overhead lighting.
- The flooring is non-slip tile.
- There are lever taps on the sinks.
- The café is situated on the ground floor with step free level access from the entrance.
- The entrance to the café has double doors which can be opened to a maximum width of 1.5m.
- Tables in the restaurant and café are well spaced apart, with a clear height from the floor of 609mm/24ins, with upright chairs without arms.
- Lighting in all areas is natural daylight with overhead lighting used.
- The flooring in the café is carpet.
- Where possible all our food produce is locally or regionally sourced. We do our best to cater for any dietary requirements; please contact us in advance to check any specific requests you may have.
- The cafe is self-service, however, staff can assist on request.
- Crockery is colour contrasted with the table where possible.
- The nearest public toilet with an accessible WC is located near the main entrance approximately 7 metres from the café.
- There is a shop with a range of souvenirs and gifts, and also plants sale, which can be accessed directly from the main entrance/ticketing area and when exiting the gardens.
- The shop is level throughout.
- A low level desk & counter are provided.
- There is ample room within the shop for a large wheelchair to manoeuvre and turn.
- There are tall display racks and low tables accessible from a seated position.
- There is background music playing.
- Staff can offer assistance if required.
Grounds and Gardens
- The gardens have grass pathways with gradual inclines and smaller walkways covered with loose gravel.
- There is a picnic area on a level lawn with picnic benches.
- Main pathways are 3 metres wide.
- Some pathways can be uneven underfoot.
- There are wooden benches at regular intervals around the garden.
- During periods of sustained wet weather the gardens are closed to wheelchair users.
- We are planning a review of our website and brochure next year to make it more accessible, your comments are welcome to assist us with this project.
Putton Lane, Chickerell, Weymouth, Dorset DT3 4AF
SY 65083 79729
Hours Of Operation:
10am to 4pm, Sunday to Friday, from April 12th 2021.
Last updated: 3rd April 2021